Patient Participation Group
What is the Patient Participation Group?
The Patient Participation Group (PPG) is group of patient volunteers who attend meetings to promote health and to help support and improve the planning, provision and delivery of local NHS services.
The group aims to support the highest quality of care for all patients by representing the views of the patient.This is achieved by working in partnership with the Surgery and their staff.
The group is a positive and supportive forum to represent views of the members of the group and also represent the wider patient population.
About the PPG - Rachel Owen, Group Chairperson
"PPG members are all patients of the surgery. We come from different walks of life but we share an interest in giving something back for our excellent care by helping the practice to deliver the best possible service to all its patients. We meet at the surgery every 8 weeks on a Wednesday 4.30-6.30pm. We talk informally about issues we have encountered, we analyse patient feedback and discuss ideas and new initiatives. We also have a GP Q&A session where we can gain expert insight and get the view from the 'other side of the desk'!
The triage system, the newsletter, the new fish tank and the art displays are all successful PPG initiatives. We are planning to make full use of our new building by increasing our activities - hosting events, inviting guest speakers and also fundraising, both for the 'PPG Projects Fund' (for non-essential enhancements for the surgery) and for charitable causes.
We are keen to welcome new members and to engage with all patients and staff. If you can't join us, feedback is always most welcome"
Please click 'Contact Us' on the bar above to provide feedback for the PPG.
What has the PPG achieved so far?
The PPG started in early 2012. Since then, the group has come a long way in helping to support the surgery and improving the services we are able to provide.
PPG achievements include:
- Setting up the quarterly Practice newsletter, available on our website here or in a paper copy in the waiting area
- Introducing a lateness rule to try and reduce waiting times in the surgery by asking patients who arrive late for their appointment to re-book
- Using the PPG Projects Fund to buy non-essential items to improve patient experiences at the surgery, such as the children's table & chair set in the waiting area, a new emergency crash bag and wheelchair accessible scales (shared with our neighbours)
- Getting a brand new text messaging system which allows patients to cancel booked appointments via text message
- Setting up a donation box for patients and staff to donate items to be given to homeless people in Chester (removed due to pandemic)
- Producing a leaflet with information on local and national services and charities on a variety of conditions and topics. Feel free to pick up a copy next time you are in the surgery, or alternatively you can view the latest online version HERE!
- Sending text messages to patients if their test results are normal / don't require any action
What areas are the PPG looking to improve next?
Every year the PPG picks priority areas for improvement. This year the PPG have created a questionnaire to get patient thoughts & feedback on changes at the practice & new services as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
To have your say, please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HKDZNS7